Remediation Action Plan and Business Case Development
Following an outbreak of a poultry disease in the late 1990’s, a poultry waste material burial pit was designed and became operational at a containment site as a solution to the emergency. This site has been actively maintained since its construction, however ongoing groundwater monitoring in the vicinity of the burial pit identified elevated concentrations of contaminants. A number of changes were required to future manage the site, to sufficiently mitigate risks of the asset condition degrading due to contamination.
Nation Partners was appointed to prepare a Final Business Case and a Remediation Action Plan to establish resources required to enable remediation of the poultry burial pit to mitigate human health, environmental and stakeholder risks associated with the contamination.
Outcomes + benefit delivered
Systematically developing a well-defined remediation action plan
The long history of the site and the involvement of numerous stakeholders required careful planning of engagement activities. The complex groundwater regime at the site combined with the existence of primary industries in the vicinity required detailed understanding of the technical aspects of remediation. The scope of the project included stakeholder consultation, planning approvals, development of management plans, site remediation works and post remediation monitoring of environmental conditions.
Based on our experience in the remediation of complex contaminants, combined with our risk management expertise, Nation Partners worked systematically to address the requirements of a robust business case and well-defined remediation action plan, including:
- Defining the project objectives incorporating safety, environmental, stakeholder and financial considerations
- Designing and executing the stakeholder engagement strategy covering the interests of local community and environmental groups and a range of government and public sector agencies
- Assessing a range of remediation options to manage risks taking into account sustainability assessment, alignment of options with legislative and technical compliance requirements, cost implications and ability of option to achieve certainty with regards to project objectives
- Determining the project financial requirements and funding strategy
- Establishing the ongoing management and resource requirements underpinning the preferred remediation option.
Department of Industry
Scope / Services:
New South Wales, Australia