Workplace health and safety services
Nation Partners is providing a senior safety advisor to the Aurecon Jacobs Mott MacDonald Joint Venture (AJM-JV) to deliver frontline, operational safety advisory services. The AJM-JV are the appointed Technical, Planning and Engagement Advisor to the Melbourne Metro Rail Authority (MMRA). The MMRA is responsible for the delivery of both the Metro Tunnel and Ballarat Line Upgrade projects.
Principal Consultant Paul Busowsky was appointed as a key support to the AJM-JV Site Investigations team. His primary role has been to deliver operational based safety advice to assist in implementing the AJM-JV’s OHS Management System for site investigations.
These site investigations were required to inform reference designs and planning approvals for both the Melbourne Metro Rail Tunnel and Ballarat Line Upgrade. This has included:
- Working with AJM-JV team members and sub-contractors on site to understand and implement AJM-JV Site Access Permit requirements and the requirements of the AJM-JV OHSMP through on-site safety supervision and advice
- Undertaking site compliance activities, including site safety observations, safe work method statement compliance audits and issue-specific targeted audits
- Undertaking the role of permit coordinator for the AJM-JV Ground Penetration Permit Process for the Metro Tunnel and Ballarat Line Upgrade projects
- Undertaking plant premobilisation assessments and monitoring on site plant compliance
- Compliance of Traffic Management Plans
- Delivering AJM-JV Field Work OHS Inductions to new project team members
- Liaising with on-site MMRA client safety representatives
- Incident investigation and reporting
- Maintaining project safety records and developing the AJM-JV induction and training register.
Paul has worked in challenging and complex work environments on these projects. Site investigations for the Metro Tunnel project have included survey, noise, environmental, cultural heritage, groundwater and geotechnical drilling investigations in heavily trafficked areas of Melbourne’s CBD. These works were often carried out close to pedestrians and members of the public. Site investigations were also required to be delivered in the MTM controlled rail corridor (including night time rail occupations) as well as in hospital, educational, commercial and industrial work site locations.
Additionally, Paul’s role in delivering safety advisory services for the Ballarat Line Upgrade project has been considerate of the challenges of working within the V/Line controlled rail corridor and working in areas outside of the Melbourne CBD.
Paul’s remit was almost exclusively field-based as a forward, visible and reliable safety resource.
Client challenge + benefit delivered
The AJM-JV’s challenge was to deliver a site investigations program to the standard of safety expected for a major public infrastructure project within a timeframe that enabled MMRA to go to market for the construction of both the Metro Tunnel and Ballarat Line Upgrade projects.
Nation Partners was able to provide a project-ready resource to work seamlessly within the AJM-JV Safety team to provide site safety advisor services as part of the site investigations program.
AJM Joint Venture (on behalf of the Melbourne Metro Rail Authority)
Scope / Services:
Melbourne, VIC, Australia